Ways To Save Plenty Of Dollars By Paying Back The Mortgage Faster
Owning your very own home outright is one of the most important accomplishments which a person can make in their lifetime. The faster your mortgage is paid off, the more money you would save on interest costs. You can take years off your loan by taking several easy steps which will help ensure you are paying off your mortgage as effectively as possible. The best part is, this method is absolutely free.
1. You will initially obtain your credit score before you begin to shop around for the best mortgage. The ongoing service fees that the mortgage company charges are normally reasonable, but it is better to know precisely what fees would be charged before you finalize a loan. It could be in your best interests to talk to a mortgage broker at this time.
2. The next step requires you to pick either weekly or bi-weekly payments. Having a bi-weekly mortgage means that you would be required to make 26 half-monthly payments rather than 12 monthly payments. Nonetheless, you would save a considerable amount on interest. It is important to note that if your mortgage is initially set up as bi-weekly, your lender may charge you an upfront fee of $300-$400.
For example: Making two payments of $415 in leu of one $830 payment, interest savings over the length of the mortgage loan will be roughly $27,000 and will enable you to pay off your house sooner by 4-1/2 years.
3. The third step is to pay a little bit extra every month. Even a slight increase of a couple of dollars will reduce the amount still owing on your principal amount. If you can pay an additional 10-15% percent each and every month then you will be in a good position to pay off your mortgage sooner.
Like for example: You can save practically $48,000 in interest and pay off your loan 8 years early by simply upping your payment from $830 to $1000 each month.
4. Making a lump sum payment at least once a year using your tax refund, work bonus or from saved money, this could significantly help decrease the amount remaining on your principal. It is better to check your mortgage documents to see how often you are permitted to prepay and in what amount to be able to make certain that you would not be subjected to any added fees. Though nearly all mortgage loans do not prohibit you from paying off your loan early, some loans do have parameters concerning any additional payments that you could make.
5. It is a great idea to pay off as much of your mortgage as you can at renewal time. At renewal, you can pay off as much as you would like because the majority of mortgages become open.
6. To be able to ensure that your additional mortgage payments are going towards the principal, make certain to check your mortgage payment. Each payment you make must be correctly documented by the bank. Any additional payments that you make must be done using a separate cheque. On the memo line, make sure you note that they payment should be applied only to the principal. At the end of the year, when doing your taxes, tally the payments and make sure that the entire amount which you paid has been accurately applied.
7. The final step to follow is to make certain that you are informed and staying current regarding your mortgage. New products are coming out each and every year and the interest rate is always fluctuating. There is the possibility that you may want to shop around for a better product as time goes on.
Like for instance: You might only qualify for a lower-rate adjustable mortgage initially. At some point later on, you may decide to select a more long-term affordable fixed-rate mortgage.
It is not always in your best interest to pay off your mortgage sooner. For example, some individuals may decide to invest in mutual funds when the yields return 10 to 12 percent each and every year. As a general rule though, nearly all people decide to pay off their mortgage instead.
If you have plans to move in the near future, it can be wiser to avoid investing your money. Saving your money and using it for a down payment on your new home may be more beneficial then investing money into your existing house.
By following these simple steps and doing a little research it is entirely possible to save thousands of dollars on your mortgage. Then again, the banks would not tell you how to save money since that will make them lose money and their profits will come to a standstill.
Click to Download the pdf